Thursday 13 September 2012

Homemade Chips


Now I know that making chips isn’t exactly rocket science, but these were so good that me and Roger gobbled these beauties down in next to no time, so I sort of feel that it would be rude not to give them their own recipe. They are extremely simple to make, very sweet and caramelised. In addition, their makeshift aioli makes them irresistible. I love potatoes with their skins on, so you’ll get a few vitamins out of these. Plus, as they’re baked, they’re relatively low fat- but as I’m obsessed with garlic and mayonnaise, the aioli is pretty important for me.


Ingredients:
  • 3 medium sized white potatoes

  • Half a tablespoon olive oil

  • 3 cloves of garlic

  • For the aioli: A tablespoon of favourite mayonnaise.

    Method:
  1. Scrub the potatoes and remove any blemishes or eyes (my potatoes were looking pretty rough).

  2. Carefully slice the potato lengthways into three and then divide the slices up into chips. Normally I’d say pat the chips dry but as I was in a rush, I didn’t bother. The high heat of the oven sorts out any excess moisture anyway.

  3. Spread the potatoes out onto a large baking sheet. Hopefully you’ll have one large enough so that they don’t overlap, we really don’t want soggy chips here..

  4. Drizzle over the half tablespoon of olive oil.

  5. With a chef’s knife, smash the garlic cloves flat but keep the skins on. Throw them onto the potatoes and mix everything with your hands to make sure every potato is coated.

  6. Sprinkle with a little rock salt and then put them onto the top shelf of a hot preheated oven about 220°.

  7. I’d give them around 35-40 minutes just to make sure they’re completely golden and crisp.
For the aioli:

Just before you take the chips out of the oven, nimbly take out the three garlic cloves and remove them from their skins.

If they’re anything like mine were, they’ll be pretty crisp. At the time I’d just carefully crushed and chopped a clove of fresh garlic to make myself some aioli, but I couldn’t resist the crunchy sweet-smelling cloves from the oven.

As I said, they’re pretty hard. But I crushed them with the flat side of a chef’s knife and sort of made a near-powdery garlic dust. This I stirred into a tablespoon of my favourite mayonnaise and it was like heaven. Not at all bitter, as the garlic hadn’t burnt. If you wanted it to look prettier, add in some chopped parsley. But I quite liked the novelty of a freckled mayonnaise.

Once your aioli’s made, get the chips out and serve them diner-style on some kitchen paper to soak up any excess olive oil.

1 comment: