Thursday 13 September 2012

Spicy Fried Tofu


One might assume that this recipe would be disgusting. Mainly because of the dirty word in the title: TOFU. Heck, a week earlier and I wouldn’t have gone near it with a barge pole. Well, I probably would have, but what I’m trying to say is that you’re forgiven for taking a step back. Now, a few weeks ago my trio of friends, Maddie, Lawrence and Laura came round for a Chinese. Maddie, who is our expert on everything to do with China ordered spicy fried tofu. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who wrinkled their nose at her choice but Maddie’s mad, so we weren’t going to argue. Hours later, when everyone had gone, like some sort of animal I snuck a bite at a piece of the tofu that Maddie hadn’t finished. To my horror, it was delicious. So here’s my take on tofu. The recipe is pretty loose so you can add whatever you fancy to it. It serves one, because I didn’t think anyone would like to join me but as the recipe calls for one handful of this or that per person, it’s not rocket science to make things go further.


Ingredients:
  • 1 small egg noodle nest (I used oil noodles)
  • 1 dessertspoon vegetable oil
  • I big handful of fried tofu (I got mine in the local Chinese supermarket)
  • 1 clove of garlic, chopped
  • 1 head of pak choi, roughly chopped
  • 1 fresh chilli
  • 1 big handful beansprouts
  • Oyster Sauce
Method:  
  1. First of all, cook the noodles. I used a handful that were leftover from the night before, but if you’re starting from scratch, just remember that once the noodles are cooked, to plunge them into ice cold water to stop them going gummy and sticking together.
  2. Put your wok on a medium heat. Add the dessertspoon of oil and when things are nice and hot, sauté the handful of fried tofu. As it’s already fried, it only needs to crisp up a little. You can add as much oil as you like to make it even crispier but I was going for the healthier option.
  3. Once the tofu is crispy, stir in the minced garlic and pak choi.
  4. At this point, I like to add my chilli. I wanted things nice and spicy, so I added about ¾ of a sliced fresh chilli, but feel free to add to your own taste.
  5. When the pak choi has wilted slightly, but is still crunchy; slop over about a tablespoon  of oyster sauce, then add two or three tablespoons of water, just to loosen things up a bit.
  6. Let things bubble away for a minute or two, to give the chilli time to permeate the sauce, and then tip in the handful of beansprouts and the drained, cooked noodles.

  7. Then you’re ready to eat! If things don’t feel saucy enough, you can always add some more oyster sauce. I thought it was pretty good. But no one believed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment