Thursday 25 February 2016

A first time for everything: Marmalade

My parents eat a lot of marmalade. They like the dark stuff, not any of your Golden Shred nonsense. Real marmalade. Do young people eat marmalade, or even jam anymore? Breakfast, followed by a chaser of toast and marmalade, has been the standard morning routine in our house for as long as I can remember. Although seeing as I generally eat my body weight in potatoes, I’ve never joined in the marmalade ritual.

I have never made marmalade before; I’ve made buckets of jam in my time, but haven’t gone near the bitter stuff. This is down to the fact that I didn’t really rate it much. But last year, someone gave us a jar of homemade marmalade; I couldn’t resist trying it- and it was delicious! Dark and syrupy, not too sweet… Much better than the stuff you get in little hotel jam pots at breakfast.

Living in Leicester with its amazing market means I’ve been on the lookout for the elusive Seville orange for over a month, just so that I can take jars home in a blaze of marmalade glory. It’s been like hunting for a rare Pokémon; lumpy oranges out of the corner of my eye have made my heart race for a few moments before I realise they’re not special at all, just lumpy. Classic Magikarp moment. But cue a visit to the market last week and I struck (orange) gold! One stall was selling late Seville oranges, piled high and knobbly as anything. I was so excited I crushed an old lady behind me and had to be physically restrained by Roger. True story.

So here’s my attempt at making marmalade. I must have looked at twenty different recipes but there was so much sugar- I know they’re bitter oranges but still! I took a sugar-based risk and it worked; I think as long as you start with at least a 1:1 ratio of oranges to sugar, it will preserve well. After that, add to taste. When it comes to the thickness of your shreds, that’s also up to you. We’re a chunky family, so I wasn’t too precise with this, but ended up snipping my shreds with scissors! One of the things I’ve learnt is that you can’t make marmalade in a rush. This whole process took about 6 hours; you need to boil the peel-strips for a good two hours until soft, as they won’t soften any more once you add the sugar. After that, it’s boiling for another 2 hours…

It’s also worth pointing out that numerous sources insist that Seville oranges in good condition actually freeze well; I bought enough oranges to give this recipe another go in the future.
Makes 6 jars.

You’ll also need a piece of muslin, or a really clean tea towel.  

Ingredients:
6 Seville Oranges (around 1.1kg for me)
1 small lemon
4 pints/2 litres cold water
Preserving sugar (good for fruits with Pectin), I used 1.3-5kg in this case but use it to taste.
1-2 tbsp Brown sugar  

Method:
Before you start, make sure you have a pan large enough for all your ingredients (I used a wok- classic student…WHY DID I LEAVE MY JAM PAN AT HOME?).

1)     Wash the oranges and cut them in half. Squeeze out their juice into a large bowl, pips and all. Tip this sludge into your piece of muslin and secure with a piece of string, making sure to collect the juice in your preserving pan. The pips have such a lot of pectin in them that you need to boil them with your shreds!

2)      Set to work slicing your oranges to the desired thickness. Like I said, I went for chunky but the shreds really don’t break down as you cook them, so be prepared to attack with scissors later when they’re softening. The chunkier the shreds, the longer it will take to soften.

3)      Pile the orange shreds into your preserving pan with the muslin bag of pips and squeeze over the juice of the lemon.

4)      Pour over the water and bring to a rolling boil for two hours, until the peel is lovely and soft and the water has reduced by about one third.

5)      When you’re absolutely sure that your orange shreds are as soft as you’d like them in the finished product, put the oven on and warm the sugar in a baking dish. Can’t remember why, but it’s what you do!

6)      Remove the muslin bag of pips from the pan and squeeze out as much of the syrupy pip-juice as you can. Mmm, pectin…

7)      Add the warmed sugar to the pan and stir over a gentle heat until dissolved.

8)      At this point, I tasted the mixture and thought it was on the edge of being too sweet, so squeezed in a little bit of lemon juice.

9)      Once the sugar has completely dissolved, bring to a gentle boil and leave for 1 ½-¾ hours, until the colour has darkened. Knowing that my parents like their marmalade dark, I also added a tablespoon of brown sugar.

        It will simmer merrily for as long as you want it to; when it’s as sweet and dark as you want it, all you have to do is raise the temperature to thicken, bringing it to setting point. Keep a plate cold in the fridge in order to test for setting. It’s ready to jar up when a dollop of marmalade wrinkles as you push your finger through it on the cold plate. That’s science for you!

10)      When you’re (finally) ready to jar up, don’t panic! I did, but ignore me. Pour the marmalade into sterilised jars (you know, wash in warm soapy water, then dry in a very low oven for 20 mins). 

11)   Remembering something that Fabrice taught us about “sealing” at Leeds City College, I put the lids on and quickly inverted the jars. Then left them for an hour- which you’re not supposed to do. Right at the last hurdle, I ballsed it up and now I have seemingly gravity-defying marmalade- there is a half-inch gap at the BASE of my jars! Here’s a tip; turn the fricking jars the right way up again after a few minutes before leaving to cool.

So after all that effort, was it worth it? I want DARKER marmalade next time! And I boiled it for about two minutes longer than I should have done, so it's a thick set. But I really, really enjoyed spending a Sunday afternoon mucking about in the kitchen listening to the radio. I will be making more jam… Watch this space.


No comments:

Post a Comment