Monday 8 February 2016

Fresh Ginger Biscuits

I think I’m allergic to history. I went to the National Archives for the first time a few weeks ago and caught a cold. Then last week, I went to the National Maritime Museum and now I have the flu. See what I mean? I’ll admit that both times I was more nervous than I should have been, which resulted in me being able to eat only a pear for lunch on one occasion. But still. It’s got to be all that history. Or maybe it’s the fact that I feel that I shouldn’t sneeze near archival materials, which inevitably makes me need to sneeze so badly! 

Other than the prolonged sneezing/dry coughing, my PhD is going great! Seriously; it’s amazing. Every time I sit down to read something I want to call everyone I know to tell them what I’m doing and how fabulously interesting it all is. Then I realise three things; that most people don’t care, that I don’t actually know many people at all, and that phone calls are the mother of all procrastination. Not that these biscuits are procrastination- I made them instead of dinner! Feed the cold, starve the flu; given that had a touch of both, I’m just going to say that ginger biscuits with a mug of honey and lemon have been keeping me going these last few days. If you’re feeling similarly snuffly, they might just do the trick for you as well...

Makes 15 (enough for a modest yet pleasing plateful)

Ingredients:

50g butter
50g caster sugar
50g golden syrup
A dessertspoon of fresh grated ginger (about an inch, peeled) or 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
Grated zest of ½ lemon
100g plain flour
25g rolled oats
¼ tsp baking powder
Pinch salt.

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to Gas 4/180°C.
  2. Melt the butter, sugar, syrup, grated ginger and lemon zest in a saucepan over a medium heat for a few minutes. Set aside to cool while you measure your dry ingredients.
  3. Tip the dry ingredients into the saucepan and stir well until there are no traces of flour.
  4. Measure out teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto lined baking sheets and press down lightly with a fork.
  5. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment